Blue Hair: I finally did it!

Category Style Diary

I did it! I dyed my hair blue as per my inspiration! And I love, love, LOVE IT! Going from a warm color to a cool color is such a big change; I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was afraid it would make my skin look dull and I wasn’t sure how it would look with my eyes, but it’s quite flattering with my complexion and makes my eyes look so BLUE!

My friend Michael Angelo of Wonderland Beauty Parlour helped me achieve this by first bleaching my hair to white, then applying a light blue dye over it for 45 minutes. The result is a medium to light blue that shifts from periwinkle at my roots to turquoise at the ends. It came out a bit brighter than I wanted, but I am hoping it will wash out to a paler blue I was aiming for. Either way, as someone who enjoys experimenting with my appearance and loves change, I love my new hair and have a feeling it will be a perpetual work in progress. :) Wonderland Parlour is a truly magical place and I promise to come back with better pictures — for now, check out some snapshots from my phone.

Funny story: while sitting in my chair, I spotted David Bryan Rashbaum right behind me, getting highlights. He is the keyboard player of Bon Jovi, a band I was really into in my teens and still like quite a bit. David was telling stories of his pants splitting on stage in from of 65,000 people. When I asked how he fixed it, he said “Duct tape. Not the smartest idea ever but I had to work with what I had!”. Haha. I dorked out and never did tell him I was a fan — just couldn’t really find a way to say “I was obsessed with your band and had about 5 posters above my bed when I was fifteen” without making it awkward!

Speaking of awkward… Check out my new “I can’t model” pose. Haha.

Like that lipstick? Get it 15% off with code HUSHHUSH15. This week only!

• Coat: BB Dakota
  • Brooch: vintage & one of my favorites
  • Boots: Nine West
  • Makeup: SirenAbracadabra (makes a warm pink!), Centrifuchsia lipstick

Coming next: Life as a bluehead. People do treat you differently, but how? Stay tuned! :)

“Blue Hair: I finally did it!”

• Shannon says:

I was a little concerned too lol. It looks so cute though! I’d love to see you experiment with other colors later.

Totally! Mint green is next. :)

Shannon Reply:

That will be amazing! I think I’d like to see some sort of deep purple, even if it’s just a wig at some point. Maybe I’ll photoshop you lol.

• Nicole says:

so beautiful! you look so great in that! :)

• Lauren says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I’m so blown away by how beautiful your hair (and makeup) looks! I’m curious what product you/your stylist used to condition it and make it look so healthy. So inspirational!!

Something from Kerastase, it smelled really nice but I can’t remember the name of the product unfortunately…

Lauren Reply:

Thanks! I’ll check out their line and try to figure out what it is.

• Natalie says:

You look amazing!! I think that colour is perfection!

• Deena says:

I love it! It looks like cotton candy, in a good way! Congrats for going through with it!

• tokidoki says:

Looks cute and it is flattering on you. However, I don’t love the uneven color on the ends. You can still see some of your blonde. Hopefully that corrects itself the more you dye it.

Heh, I actually think it’s from over-dyeing it for years and years. After a while, the hair just stops taking color… Oh well, I’m just happy to have the BLUE! :D

Red Reply:

Her hair only looks like that because she only did one session with the blue. Once doe dyes her hair again it will give the color a base to hold on to and the ends will be the same as the roots. I have been every color under the sun. Right now I am a neon purple. Every time I change my color I have to do it two times when going to a new color because it doesn’t have anything to hold on to. The next round of blue will be better. :)

Tokidoki Reply:

Hopefully. I used to dye my own hair unusual colors all the time when I was in high school and college and I never had that issue. I’m just a bit surprised it happened since she got it professionally dyed.

autumn Reply:

Damage done to the cuticle by repeated chemical processing cannot be repaired. Every time someone colors their hair with permanent haircolor, they are opening the cuticle and this creates little holes. That is why, as professionals we try not to overlap color too often. Doe’s hair is porous at the ends from processing, and cannot hold color as well as the more healthy hair closer to her scalp. To expect that a professional can fix that is unrealistic. But, yes with another application of gentle demi permanent color, the damaged hair would be considered filled, and the overall look should be more even.

• Lozeh! says:

Your hair is AMAZING! :D It looks so good on you <3

• Shea Wheatley says:

Gorgeous! So jealous of how it turned out!

I’ve been meaning to dye the white streaks at the front of my hair a strange color for a while, I’m thinking lavender, actually.

Lavender is a wonderful color! Go for it!

• Gillian says:

Oh, it’s cute! I really like the touches of deeper blue at the roots. For some reason, I was half-worried that it would turn out paler, maybe a little more grey, but it looks awesome.

• Ellie Di says:

Wow! It really does look fantastic against your skin. Who knew the transition from red to blue would work out so perfectly? I’m really looking forward to hearing your experiences dealing with people’s reaction to the colour. I had a lot of “interesting” ones in my time, and I’m hoping yours are good!

I’ll be sure to document the more interesting ones. What kind of reactions did you get?

Ellie Di Reply:

The most negative reactions I’ve ever gotten have been people asking if my mother knows I dye my hair like that. To which I respond, “Of course. She helps me do it.” But I never noticed anything more nasty than that (or any catcalling!).

The most positive reactions I’ve ever had have been from little old ladies and small children. A couple years ago in the grocery store, when my hair was ultra-violet, a tiny little white-haired old lady of about 80 tapped me on the shoulder and said, “I really love your hair. I wish I could do that.” I looked around and whispered conspiratorially, “You’re retired right?” She blushed, laughed, and said, “of course”. I grinned and said, “Well then why don’t you? Your hair is totally white, so it’s perfect for bright colours.” She giggled (really!) and made that “oh you” hand gesture. But she was smiling and I could tell she was thinking about it.

Another time, I was out with my mom and brother having ice cream in some hole in the wall (= awesome) place. A mom and a six year old girl in all pink sat behind us. As was usual in these circumstances, after a while I heard the little girl whisper excitedly, “Mommy, that lady’s hair is pink!” I smiled to myself as the mom said, “Do you want hair like that?” The little girl said, “YEAH!” almost too loudly. I turned around and smiled at them both, saying, “Pink hair is pretty awesome! But my mommy wouldn’t let me dye it until I was 16. Do you think you can wait that long?” The little girl, eyes wide, turned to her mom hopefully. Her mom said, “I think we can do that.” I thought the little girl would explode!

Having crazy coloured hair really was an overwhelmingly positive experience for me. It kind of became my trademark! I recently stopped doing it (to grow it out) and when I went to a yearly convention, hardly anyone recognized me! :3

Ellen Yates Reply:

those stories are so cute!

MermaidDaughter Reply:

Hmm, I think colourd hair pretty exhausting. People always believe they have to say what they’re thinking. I mean no one would tell you: hey your natural colour sucks, change it! but with coloured hair people think it okay to criticize you. And as time goes by I’m even exhausted of all the boys going like: nice hair…well mostly cause they are not my type.
    and if you are more zoetica than doe deere boys think you’re easy to get. scandalous;)
    What really makes it up are the little girls:) when they start to whisper and pointing at you. they’re so cute!!

now that’s why I get “normal” hair colours from time to time. vacation you could say from attantion^^

people should think more of bambi: if you don’t have to say something nice, don’t say nothing at all:)

• Charli says:

I love it! It really does bring out your eyes…beautiful. Love you outfit!!

• Tiffany says:

I love love LOVE your hair red (but I’m a diehard redhead myself), but this is a dang good and fun look too!!! A little jealous that I don’t have the balls to do it myself! But I’m working up the guts to give up the red for awhile and do blonde…at least for a season. :)

• Anaïs says:

This is amazing. Simply amazing, nothing to add.

• tanee says:

Hi Doe,
    what do you use to get that kind of curl?

I have a 1″ hair straightener that I’ve been using.

40sfemme Reply:

How long does your hair hold a curl (or do you use some magical product)? Mine falls flat so quickly.

• Doe that is GORGEOUS. omg. I am totally in love. Your eyes look crazy amazing. Now you have to wear No She Didn’t with your new ‘do!

Oh, I MUST!

• Jela says:

I love this so much Doe! I wish I could color my hair fun colors…But, alas, working for the Government I cannot. I guess I have to live vicariously through people like you!

Or discover wigs! ;P

Renee Reply:

I’ve gotten some really amazing bring coloured, and good quality wigs on Ebay for under $40

Zoe Danger Awesome Reply:

Renee, do you have a link to any of these sellers?
    I’d love to dye my hair, but being curly its very fragile. Getting some wigs sounds great

Jela Reply:

OOOoooh… why did *I* think of that!!!!

• ivona tassin says:

LOVE IT!

It makes me want to dye my hair back to pink – just the way I used to wear it years ago.

Keep inspiring the world!

Ivona

• that’s it.. i’m going light purple like i’ve been wanting to do. thanks for the inspiration!

You’re welcome!!

• Brittany S says:

La Decadence! You look so very special and fine with blue hair<3
    I'm dieing my hair soon too it will be almost dark cherry color. First time I've ever done anything so radical *fingers crossed*

• Christine says:

I admit, when you talked about going blue, I had a hard time envisioning it. But, Doe, it looks FABULOUS! The color really highlights your eyes. How does your hubby like it?

He digs it! Any kind of change is good in his book :)

• pi says:

You are wonderful!! Beautiful hair color!!!

• Mary says:

You live in NYC so people are more accepting there but I can tell you how people reacted here (in my small town) when I had pink & later turquoise hair. Most adults looked @ me like I was going to rob or stab them (which is so silly). While little kids were fascinated with me. Almost every day a little girl would point me out to her mom and say ‘mommy, I want pink hair’.

Awww, that’s so sweet about the kids. :))) Adults, yeah… What happens to us when we grow up? Why do we become so hardened and suspicious? :(

• Guenevera says:

I have a Blythe doll with almost that same hair colour, and I always thought it would look great on a real person. And it does! Love it!

• Boo says:

oh wow you look fantastic sometimes i put clip in blue or burgandy extensions in and people think your a monster its so funny to see peoples expressions

• kaiya says:

Oh my wowwww! You look amazing with blue hair, it really does bring out the blue in your eyes more. You almost look like an elf, magic eyes and hair. I’ve wanted to ye my hair an ‘ice cream colour’ (for me) this includes: pale baby candyfloss pink, icy powder blue (much like yours :D), pale mint green, powder candy purple.

I love how you look so different with different hair. And i think with blue hair you could pull off a much more Kitsch look about you! x

• Anna says:

I expected something else and weird, but THIS is amazing. My mom stood next to me and shouted: “HOW LOVELY!”

Your mom is AWESOME! :D

• Cate says:

It looks really good and really makes your eye colour pop, i thought it would be paler though but after a couple washes I’m sure it will be. You know it would look so pretty with a few light pink or lavender streaks in it to xoxo

• Rickey says:

When you first said you were going to go powder blue, I thought… “Oh, dear. Well, to each her own.”

Now that I see it! You have me sold on it. You look far too adorable for words, like a gorgey mcporgey porcelain doll, especially the way it brings out your EYES, girl!!

Also, am LOVING the way it looks with so much pink! *SQUEE!!*

Uy, now more than ever I can’t believe I promised my boyfriend I’d wait till summer to dye my hair–I want to go some shade of purple (knight bus purple, lilac, not sure yet!), esPECially now that I’ve gotten my d’lilac and airborne unicorn in the mail… but we’re in a long distance relationship and he made me promise to let him spend what time we have together with my natural hair color (it’s only just faded back from ruby red) at least twice… which will be winter break and summer, it looks like.

Hanna Reply:

Knight bus purple! That’s the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard.

• Moni says:

Even though it’s brighter than you wanted, I think this color looks gorgeous on you! Your eyes absolutely shine, and with the hot pink makeup and clothes, it looks so fun!

Oh, and definitely a good choice going to the salon… I’ve heard so many horror stories, unfortunately.

• Esther says:

It looks Wonderful! Congratulations for taking the leap to a new level of hair colors!

• pianka says:

woww!!! you look like your inspiration! :DDDD congrats!

• Liri says:

wow! your eyes really pop… it looks amazing!

• *squee* Doe, you look like a doll! This color looks incredible on you. Wish i could do something like this to mine. I miss my pink hair. Unfortunately… you know… work dress code doesn’t permit it. =(

You look awesome.

• Jamily says:

You’re magic! Love it!

• Meru says:

Life as a bluehead has been wonderful for me in the past two years, so I hope you have the same experience! Welcome to the club ;)

• Catalina says:

It looks amazing! I don’t think I’d ever have the courage to go blue, so kudos to you!

• Emma Dilema says:

Your hair is absolutely beautiful! You continue to inspire me time and time again.

It is my pleasure, Emma. :)

• Der Feedrache says:

THAT looks WAY cuter than it sounded. You look like a porcelain Rainbow Bright Color Kid doll. And the fuchsias complement it so nicely. Although, methinks an all-cool-blue Ice Queen photoshoot would be awesome–especially with winter on the way!

Already on it ;)

• Kristie says:

I know it might be to much blue but you should totally put on some No She Didn’t with that hair!

That color really does make your eyes just POP.
    Makes me miss my blue hair, but I only just went bright red. Can’t change it just yet! But maybe sometime..

• Navi says:

Might I ask, do you know what brand of dye it is?
    Very pretty! I love it.

Laureth Reply:

I was also wondering about what brand the dye is, and you beat me to asking. :]
    It is goooooorgeous!

I think we used Manic Panic Bad Boy Blue, diluted 1:2 with white.

Paige Reply:

Manic Panic always turns out beautifully ! :D I could NOMNOMNOM on your cotton candy-licious hair <3 Haute :D

• M says:

Looks amazing!!! I’d do it too if I could keep up with the upkeep. It does bring out your blue eyes!

I have a feeling I’ll have to learn to do my own touch-ups. Will be sure to share any findings/tips!

• Jenny says:

Oh it’s beautiful!! I’m so jealous!!

Aqua is my dream color, but with all the years of blue-black, I don’t think I’m going anywhere with it.

It’s fantastic! Your eyes really do pop!

• Emily says:

It looks gorgeous! Really makes your eyes pop! It turned out a really beautiful shade, much more stunning than other people who have tried to pull off a similar shade. And I love your eyeshadow and lipstick! Makes me want to stock up on more Lime Crime. :)

• Kaldea says:

I love it! it’s very pretty on your suite, make you look like a little doll, and the blue color is stunning!

• Kristabelle says:

Oh wow…when you first said you’d be dying your hair blue, I had my doubts, but this looks so amazing!! Really brings out your eyes and I love how it looks with the pink makeup and coat!

• Ana says:

It looks amazing!! I love it :D

• Oh my goodness! It’s so enchanting! You’re like from a parallel pastel universe of dainty faes! I wish I could give you a unicorn with a sparkling silver saddle to keep you company. This is so refreshingly adorable.

• Raye says:

How pretty! Don’t worry, the blue will definitely fade, probably with the first few washes. I don’t know why you’d want it to, though: you look so lovely with the shade it is now!

Also: In the photo, you remind me of a Rainbow Brite character!

• ButacuP says:

Doe! I love it so much and you are right the color really does bring out your eyes. When I first discovered you, you had a tutorial about a smokey eye look and I was attracted to the bright blue hue of your eyes. This new color really makes your eyes shine and I love how you paired it up with Centrifuchsia. I just recently dyed my hair too but it’s not nearly as exciting as yours. I just went from bright golden brown to a warmer brown more like an auburn honey. Well done on the hair color, I just love it!!!!

Much love,
    Kei

Hi Kei! I think any kind of hair change is an exciting event. ;)