I saw these marvelous Sonia Rykiel pearl sunglasses and fell in love! Time for another DIY project!

What you need: round sunglasses, flat-back pearls, glue gun.

I picked up a pair of plain black ‘bug-eye’ shades on St. Marks Place in NYC (Top Shop has them too) and some cabochon pearls on Etsy (mine are 8mm). Sonia’s version has plain white pearls but I went for an assortment of pastels just to make them a little more ‘me’. It was very easy – glue the pearls around the edge & the handles and voila, you have an updated version of trendy shades this season!

The lipstick is Cosmopop, by the way.

Deerlings: will you try this? What sunglasses are you sporting this spring?

“DIY: Pearl Sunglasses a-la Sonia Rykiel”

• Delma says:

Omg! This is so easy and clever. I have to try it this weekend!

• Dip says:

here are my essential glasses for spring/summer: http://droolingisntpretty.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/candy-eyes/

Brilliant round-up!

• Eva says:

What a beautiful glasses! I always love your DIY-projects :)
    This summer I will be wearing red hearted Lolita sunglasses and also red real vintage glasses from the brand Bollé, from the eighties! (Don’t you love those cheap but wonderful flea market finds? I found this one on a sweet French flea market! )

I do love flea market finds; can’t wait to go to one this summer!

• Decodetrace says:

good idea. Perfect way to spice up an old pair of sunnies.

• Zane says:

aww those are cute ^_^
    I have to wear my glasses all the time (I’m so blind!) but I have transitions so it’s like I have a 2 in 1 pair lol.
    they are blue and brown plastic cat eyes with red rhinestones on the sides, and they make me feel fabulous!

I love cat eyes! So chic. :)

• Melinda says:

I’m currently wearing some old fossil sunglasses I thrifted in Wharton, Texas. Its quite interesting to say the least, they look modern, but the label said early ninties, they a dark burgundy shade with red plastic ears. Quite awesome! I wear them to school, but the kids aren’t that crazy about them, oh well!

It’s not about what others think, but what YOU think of them. ;)

• Anna says:

LOVELY !
    I really should try to do this to some of my old sunglasses!

• Sasa says:

Super nice idea! Must try!

• Kat V says:

Awesome. I might do this, but don’t own a glue gun. Maybe I’ll borrow yours!

Sure! Embellished sunglasses are really hot right now, let’s get together and DIY some cool shades!

• Rachel says:

Of course you had to go and include colours!

Sorry – couldn’t help it! ;)

• Mary says:

Very cute. I’m gonna finally pick up some of those heart shaped Lolita sunglasses.

• Ariel Grimm says:

Cute!
    Well, I was wearing a pair of forest green lolita heart shaped glasses, but they broke </3
    my DIY project is fixing them!

:( I always cry when things like glasses break. Good luck fixing yours, hope it works!

• draydrax says:

these are my sunglasses for… till i break ‘em :) (from the pyramid collection) http://tinyurl.com/39tpm26

Wow! Those are wild!

• Annie says:

I love sunglasses, may have to try this out! :]

• Kiersten says:

Cute idea! It’s always so rewarding to DIY.

Isn’t it?? :D

• alexis says:

coolio those r really cute glasses!! <3

• Kelsey says:

This is so incredibly brilliant. Love it.

• Alison says:

I always forget to grab my sunglasses when I go places. I have a boring pair of brown “I’m hung over and my boyfriend beats me” glasses. That’s what I call over-sized, dark sunglasses. I have somehow managed to keep up with my red heart-shaped Lolita-inspired glasses for a few summers. I love them.

I have a pair of red lolita hearts too and love them! :)

• Kellee says:

I definitely want to gussy up some sun glasses like that.
    My current favorite sunglasses are pink zebra print aviators, where the zebra print is actually on the lenses.

Do share a pic how it turns out :)

• Chelsea says:

Oh how fantastic! Can’t wait to see you wear them!

• Steph Doll says:

I would love to make me some! they look lovely… one questionsto the pearls bulge out and make them look weird when wearing them out?

I posted pix of me wearing them today so you can see for yourself. The pearls do bulge out since they’re 3D but I think it’s a balanced kind of a bulge. :)

Steph Doll Reply:

Ooh lala they look so very pretty on! I’m gonna put in on my to do list of DIY projects. You look gorgeous in the pix btw ;)

• Lulu says:

I can’t stop wearing my red heart sunglasses!
    I love this idea its so cute and I adore pearls.
    Thanks for the diy project!

• I’ve got red heart-shaped sunglasses.

• Bonniee:) says:

I would totally try it! :D

• valtornia says:

I would try it , but on my way , maybe sunglasses with small pieces of old broken mirror ? :D That’s my idea ;)

Love it! Do it do it do it!

• Ashlotte says:

These are adorable!! I’m going to try this for sure! This year I’m sporting (as usual) my many heart-shaped glasses (I think I’m starting a collection or something!) and my signature aviators!

• [...] Sunglasses – DIY’ed {tutorial} [...]

• Veronica says:

The only sunglasses that go with my face are huge black oversized glasses. Pair those with bangs and you only get to show the tip of your nose and your lips and that really makes me feel like a diva!

How mysterious! Isn’t that the best part about sunglasses, looking mysterious?

• Ally says:

It’s so cool that the original glasses were designed by Sonia Rykiel. I saw a dress of hers from the 1970s on display in a museum exhibit on the history of fashion while visiting San Diego. She did great stuff.

I love Sonia. Anyone who can make an outfit entirely out of hair is a-OK in my book! :D

Ally Reply:

Sonia’s dress caught my eye in the exhibit because I’d seen a fashion-blogger friend of mine wear an identical knock-off of it online. (She’d gotten it from the back of her mother’s closet; it was 30 years old.) Seeing the original was a great surprise!

• Rachel says:

Oh how pretty! Thanks so much for sharing this, I’ll be linking in my next Fashion Roundup.

Please do! It’s all about sharing the glee. :D

• Comtesse De Barbarac says:

It’s probably a little boring but I keep wearing my colorful faux wayfarers (way cheaper than real Ray-Bans! ^_^). I know everyone has a pair of Ray-Bans nowadays but the shape is just so flattering.

I also have a pair of pink Lolita sunnies that I can’t wait to break out this summer!

• wow you are so fabulous! And I really must make a pair of these sunglasses!!!!!!

love your blog just found it! I would be honored if you stopped by mine…

xoxo Bardot in Blue your new fan in Paris!!

• [...] 4. DIY’ed pearl sunglasses (tutorial) [...]

• KitOfPirates says:

Helloh i’m living in your blog now! ^o^ Learning so much from you swami! :D Especially that i needs a gluegun!!!!

Thank for excistings!! Z0MGS!

• KitOfPirates says:

uhm i meant thanks!! :P Just correcting zis or it would seem that i think you should thank the something of the someone for excisting. ^^; Solleh!

*paws*

KitOfPirates.

• KitOfPirates says:

OMG!!! The something or the someone. ORRR!!!! T_T Why won’t my fingars listen to mie! *types no more because deers have many important bird contacts and likes to be shafe ootside*

• [...] Sunglasses: handmade [...]

• Jan says:

This is so pretty! Can you do it with a boxy sunnies? Cos round sunnies don’t suit my face shape.

• Lisa says:

I love love love these. And that last photo is so beautiful

• [...] – boblefrakke (a’ la den fra Fredericia) – Hedda (striktrøje) – Raw Food – lav selv dine Diva-briller – mangler du inspiration til dine måltider? – mandelforkælelse – når det regner, får man [...]