I almost never talk about my looks, but like most girls, I think and worry about them all the time. Growing up, I never considered myself pretty. Not ugly either, I just wasn’t one of those kids who turned heads and got constantly complimented on their looks. You could say I was average, like any other girl in my class, and very much invisible to boys.

With friend Gulya, in 1998. I look like a dorky Madonna!

I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to my appearance until the very last month of high school. I didn’t wear makeup because I didn’t believe it could do anything for me — I had a pot of sheer gloss and maybe some mascara, but didn’t really know how to use these tools to improve my looks. I didn’t hate the way I looked; I just never thought of myself as someone who could be beautiful.

Everything changed on Prom Night. I will never forget what happened. A little back-story first: in Russia, you don’t need a date to come to the prom, everyone goes solo. It’s more of a graduation ceremony followed by an (optional) dance. I remember girls talking excitedly about what kind of a dress they’re going to wear, some even got theirs custom made. As for me, I chose a long, floral dress I found at a thrift-store paired with some funky jewelry — which was an improvement, seeing how I was a tomboy and categorically refused to wear a skirt.

Age 16. I really liked Guns N’ Roses. :)

I asked my mom to braid my hair, but didn’t even think about makeup. Turns out, my mom called in a favor from a friend, who happened to be a professional makeup artist for runway and TV. Inessa was the first person to tell me I had a ‘great face for makeup’. (I wasn’t sure what that meant at the time; I know now it means a face that transforms well under makeup.) I remember her filling in my brows, dotting concealer under my eyes (Do I have abnormally dark circles??), and applying light pink and pale green eyeshadow over my lids. My eyes widened when she pulled out a tube of lime green mascara and did my bottom lashes with it!!! (She wanted a more adventurous look, to suit my personality; she later gifted me the tube, which I’d held on to for years and years.) My lips were painted a pinky-mauve shade and my cheekbones contoured lightly — “it will look really beautiful under the evening lighting”. No one had ever used the words ‘really beautiful’ in the same sentence as me before!

Getting my fierce on!

The rest of the night was a whirlwind. I remember walking to prom and people staring (I kept tugging at my dress and hair, thinking something must be wrong) and hearing whistles (surely they must be whistling at someone else?!). At the prom, everybody commented on how wonderful I looked. I smiled for pictures, sipped champagne and socialized confidently. My mother later told me that other parents approached her to tell her her daughter was ‘the most beautiful girl at the prom’. Whaaaa?! Just like that, I went from moth to butterfly… in one night.

When I got home, I did something very strange. I sat down with a mirror and copied down my eye makeup onto a piece of paper. I drew a diagram of an eye with colored pencils, deciphering it as best I could. I didn’t want to wash it off; I wanted to preserve it somehow. The thought of going back to being Plain Jane the next morning didn’t agree with me any more. Lucky for me, I now had a secret weapon: a tube of  green mascara.

“Green Mascara, Or How I Went From Plain Jane To ‘The Most Beautiful Girl’ In One Night”

• Shybiker says:

Fabulous post! I love the personal history and the photos are icing on the cake. Best thing I’ve seen in a long while. Thanks, Doe!

• Kristabelle says:

What a great story! Loved seeing the pictures, too, this is one of my favorite posts. :)

• polishsis says:

Great story, loved reading about your ‘first time’, thank you for sharing!

• Sueee says:

Wow, I’m so excited to hear the rest of the story. Keep us posted!!

So glad you enjoyed it. Will do! :)

• DalaLuz says:

Lovely story!

• Phoebe says:

I love, love, love the fourth picture! Your hair is to DIE for, and you look like a supermodel. So jealous! :D

• AstaNord says:

What a lovely story!

• Daisy says:

wow you had such long hair- it looks gorgeous. can’t wait to here the rest of the story :]

also: i’m LOVING your GN’R posters!

• Natasha says:

I love when you talk about your life growing up in Russia, I wish you would do so more often!
    Your friend and I have almost the exact same face shape! No joke, cheeks and all! My face is just a little shorter and wider though. The way her cheeks lift around her mouth when she smiles, I’ve met only a few people besides myself who have those cheeks. Crazy =)

• Cutesaurus says:

Wow, this post is fantastic. I love the photos and your story.

• Shabby says:

Oh Xenia, you are such a wonderful story-teller! I love that you’re sharing photos of your youth with your readers – it takes courage!

Thanks Shabby! I think my heart skipped a beat when I hit ‘publish’ — it’s a little scary to share so much of yourself, but I’m glad I did it! xo

• Tara says:

I actually really dig your look from back then! =D I love tomboy girls. Especially from the 90′s :P You look amazing with makeup but you’re lucky to also be such a natural beauty<3

• Christine says:

Aww, you were gorgeous even without the green mascara. I especially like the first picture. Scrunchielicious!

• Danii says:

That is so amazing! I’m sure glad you went to Prom that night, or we’d be so lost without LimeCrime!

• Rose xoxo says:

Oh my qoodness qracious! :p

This inspired me! ;D

This is was so entertaininq to me,
    too.

Usually I can`t read lonqer bloqs but this kept me interested and it was so cute!

I find you VERY pretty in your teens AND now,
    Doe c:

You`re lovely and an inspiration to me c:

• allisee says:

wow Doe! I think this post is my favorite! <3 I cant wait to read the rest!

• Doe, you looked beautiful even without the makeup! Also, scrunchies are incredibly awesome. ♥

• lf says:

oh my gosh you have the same natural hair color as me! strawberry blonde-redheads for lifee!!

I LOVE this post. more like it plz.

• Spooky says:

Clearly you have never seen these moths.

Rosy Maple Moth (My favorite! Doesn’t he just look like candy?)

Io Moth

Royal Moth

And lastly the LIME colored Luna Moth

The only criteria is that it transforms well with makeup! :)

• Elle Caszatt says:

I really liked this!

• melina bee says:

I love this post for many reasons. #1: Green mascara is my absolute favorite and it’s a shame it is considered more of a “trend” shade rather than available all the time. #2. I love to see people’s transformations. I was definitely an ugly duckling growing up… #3. You were totally beautiful! Perhaps not glamorous exactly but you had really nice coloring and skin. Thanks for sharing! In your opinion, is there a way to determine if someone’s got a good face for makeup other than trial or error? I feel I also have a good face for makeup but my features are completely different than yours.

• Mary A says:

You’re gorgeous and I’m glad you discovered that early in life :) Please people, check out my blog http://mondorella.blogspot.com/

• hey doe,

i’m so glad i found your blog. YOu’re really inspiring me alot.

I’m russian or should i rather say ukrainian?! In any ways, just
    wanna say that i totally understand and feel everything you write
    about the russian culture… and with me its the same: I grew up
    in Berlin/ germany (like you… abroad!) It’s so unbelievable interesting
    to read your stories and i feel somehow totally connected to you…
    haha, sounds a little scary :D but i love your fantastical little stories,
    you definetely can capture the people. It’s just so lovely…

Also if my blog is different from yours… in my mind i live in the same
    world as you but i’m not always express it aloud. I hope you could post
    more often…

bst
    katjusha :)

• Lady Lale says:

This is such an inspiring story! Staying tuned for more… ^^

• Dimi says:

You look very cute and thanx for sharing your story with us dear!

• Bonnie says:

What a great story! A little bit like a fairy tale, just right for someone looking like a fairy tale princess like you.

And you remind me a little bit on River Tam on her great days from Firefly on picture four.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us!

• Hilde says:

I can relate to this, sort of, but I STILL don’t wear makeup. (I’m almost 20) I have no idea how to, and the few times my sisters have helped me apply it for a party or similar, I honestly haven’t seen much of a difference.

Very excited to hear the rest of the story! :)

• Jemma says:

What a beautiful story, Doe! It made me feel a bit emotional since I can relate to what you said here: “I just never thought of myself as someone who could be beautiful.”

• That’s such a wonderful story :) I absolutely love it. (btw you were gorgeous back then too ^^ )

• Courtney says:

I went through a similar transformation. Do you ever miss your long hair? It has such amazing natural waves!

I miss the length, but not the style hehe. In fact, I’m growing mine out right now (considering getting extensions even) to be about waist-length. :)

• Ariel Grimm says:

What a wonderful tale! I got a tube of green mascara by Hard Candy, unfortunately it isn’t very vibrant and I do like applying it on the lower lashes…if only Limecrime made a line of vibrant color mascaras!

• Sofie says:

Great post! It makes me want to wear green mascara to my prom. Actually, I’m thinking of copying your prom style a little in general. I can’t wait to read more!

• I can’t wait to read the next part! That was actually really inspiring to me! .. I’m 27 and -still- a plain jane. I have yet to truly venture into make-up. But I’d really like to. Thanks for writing this! <3

• Stephdol7 says:

Wow Doe this is so cool for u to share with us!
    Omg I would have never thought u listened to G&R, that’s awesome. Ur so Girly now who would of thought of Doe Deer as a rocker chick! I love it. Ur hair color was so beautiful, what made u want to change it?

Oh, I was a total metalhead! Haha. My favorite bands at the time were Guns, Slayer, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Metallica. I still love all of those bands and am totally into 80s hair metal, too!

Stephdol7 Reply:

Oh my! Thats so Rad! I love metal as well but, my heart belongs to neo-rockabilly. U should do a shoot showing this side of u, I would love love to see it. Take care and I hope ur enjoying LA <3

• Sylvie says:

You ARE a beauty! And that gorgeous hair!!

• Becca says:

Fantastic post! One of your best. I’ve recently discovered I LOVE clothes but sadly haven’t sorted out the makeup bit yet…guess that’ll follow sometime; wish I had someone like you round to teach me properly though haha! :)

• Lucie says:

Oh Doe, shut up! You were already SO beautiful back then – you know you have that face that needs no make up at all to be stunning and head-turning! The prom picture is splendid, you look like some mermaid or a Botticelli painting or just any of those unearthly beauties from the Renaissance.

And I love it when you share a little bit of your past with us, I’m very curious as to how it was growing up in Russia and posts like this are just awesome. Please post the continuation soon!!!!!

• Sydney says:

Ooh! I loved this! You should do a tutorial on the look, it sounds really pretty!(:

• Gabriella says:

Great post, thanks for sharing with us! :) It’s hard to imagine you as a tomboy based on your blog and the way you dress now. You look lovely in those pictures, you do have an amazing face with or without makeup. I can’t wait to read the rest! :)

Check out my blog: Principessa Gabriella

• Gvenda says:

I think that you’re the most beautiful girl alive and it’s weird to think that you would think in some other way. I’d love to have such magical story as yours, but, since I doll myself up every day(make-up and clothing, yet it doesn’t make me feel pretty) I know it’s never gonna happen. It’s somehow sad to think of that…

Don’t say that, Gvenda! I’m sure you’re very pretty all dolled up, and if you don’t see it that way then it can only mean there’s more room for growth! There are no limits to perfection. ;)

• Ylva says:

Aw, this was so fun to read! And I really really think you were beautiful in all the pictures. Very very pretty and lovely hair.

• Rickey says:

This is possibly the best post you’ve ever written. Possibly, not definitely, but it’s wonderful-what a great story! What’s so funny is how similar it is to my own story… although, with me, it was a pair of gogo boots instead of a tube of mascara. :D
    <3 Rickey

I wanna hear it!!! :)

• Pstar says:

I love you reflecting on when you made the change on how to view yourself. I was a fashion mess for all my high school years. Then in my sophomore year of college, I realized there was thing about dressing for your body and being fashion forward.

Can’t wait for Part II!

• RainWithABowOnIt says:

It’s fun to read about you growing up in Russia as I’m reading this in Finland. Though Finland is between Sweden and Russia I know so much more about Sweden than I do about Russia. (History that has nothing to do with our generation still somehow affects these things today.) But it seems that people are fundamentaly the same everywhere, atleast teenage girls are :)

I would like to hear your experienses on moving to another country (and now to another city :) ). I’m dreaming about moving to another country at some point. I wonder what the culture shock might feel like.

• Thanks for your insight and honesty! :)

Thanks for re-confirming to all us ‘beautiful girls’ (and those still looking to find their OWN beauty) that it can take time and is sometimes a matter of learning how to master technique that will bring out (for all to see) the best you! :)

I had a similar experience about 2 years ago… I’d started working on ways to bring my ‘best’ self forward, was feeling good and just had people staring… I couldn’t figure out WHAT was going on… LOL! Then I a guy actually stopped me… and told me! :)

Blessings1

• liz says:

fantastic! looking forward to reading more! :)

• Isabel says:

Thanks for sharing this! I am always inspired by the blogs that I read and its twice the fun when they talk of ‘past times’. It makes me feel good about my future style-wise… I also dressed quite plain and now I’m starting to take more care with everything, clothes, makeup, hair… :) I look forward to hearing the rest of your story!

• [...] content with it! Yes, some are born naturally beautiful, but most of us need a little help – myself included. I was reading a feature with a makeup artist Dotti, who said, “Most beauties aren’t [...]

• JennaBear says:

I feel the same way! I was always an ugly duckling growing up (ugly and fat! :(!! ) but then I grew up and suddenly now I’m a beautiful swan! I turn heads and make guys trip over their words when they talk to me! I cant believe it! Its so strange :)