Photo: Ellen von Unwerth

I adore this makeup — so festive and fun! — and decided to do a pretend-tutorial, or how I would do it. :) If you have a party to go attend this month, you’ll love this!

Step 1: Prime it

Eyeshadow primer is essential, and here’s why: staying up all night and dancing will make your lids produce oil, causing your eyeshadow to crease. Ghastly turquoises creases are not an option! Candy Eyed Eyeshadow Helper will keep your eyeshadow ON for hours and hours (in my case, 12+ hours!) and ensure it’s still as bright as when you first applied it. Spread a thin layer all over the eye area with your finger tip — be sure to bring it as close to the lashes as possible, and get the bottom lid too.

Step 2: Pack it on

That deep turquoise eyeshadow is a show-stopper. Don’t have that exact hue? No worries, you can always mix it out of what you’ve got. I’m going to pretend we’re using Lime Crime colors. Start out packging Troubadour onto the lid with a dense, short-bristled brush (top and bottom lid). Blend out with a clean, fluffy brush. Since Troubadour is a slightly lighter turquoise, you can deepen by running some Medusa over it. Keep your dark color overlay close to lashes (top and bottom) if you want a cool smoky effect! Fill in waterline with a turquoise pencil.

Apply 2-3 coats of mascara to your lashes. Individual falsies just at the ends would look brilliant if you have them.

Step 3: It’s glow-time

The foundation in the picture is too heavy and will make you look too ‘done-up’. Since you’re going to be interacting with people in person, I recommend lighter coverage with a tinted moisturizer instead (my favorite is by Laura Mercier, or you can mix some lotion with your foundation on the back of your hand). This will make your skin glow like an apple. Spots should be covered up individually with concealer, afterwards. Skip powder to preserve the shine.

Since you’ll be using a lot of strong colors on eyes and lips, so go easy on the blush. Try a touch of peach or hot pink on the cheeks.

Step 4: Pucker up

Love the semi-gloss lipstick in the picture! Retrofuturist will do the job beautifully. To create a last-all-night pout, fill in the lips with a red pencil apply directly from the bullet following your natural lipline at first, then correct & perfect with pencil. Avoid lip gloss as it will make your lipstick less long-lasting — unless you don’t mind an occasional touch up!

Voila!

Deerlings: Have you started planning out your Christmas/New Year’s Eve makeup yet?

“Holiday Glee: makeup tutorial”

• Freya says:

I have a weakness for turquoise. I makes me knees a little wobbly, so I loove this! Now to find an outfit to go with it. Hmm.

• Leslie says:

When you say red lip pencil, do you mean just a generic red color?

Yes, any red will work — since you’ll be going over it with lipstick anyway. It will just help the color grab on better. :)

• Leslie says:

I have planned my Christmas eve makeup. I ordered a lovely dress from mod cloth. I am still looking for shoes. But I will be wearing dragon scales on my lids, Benetint blush, retrofuturist on my lips with a little rubbed with my finger on my apples of my cheeks. I’ll be using urban decay liner pencil in 0 to line my eyes. My eyeshadow will be applied extending beyond my eye to the point of my brow. My liner will be applied in a double cat eye. Think modern egyptian.

Wow, it sounds like you have it all planned out! I love mapping things out before the holidays. :)

• Becca Rainbow says:

Will you try to re-create the Black Swan makeup?! I feel like you’d do an amazing recreation.

I have yet to see the movie, but everyone says it’s amazing so chances are I will be re-creating the look! :)

• Nini says:

I love this make up… and I think it’s not for the Holidays only. ;) Add something sparkly (dress, headpiece, whatever) = perfet party outfit!
    But I fear, that I can’t wear such a bright blue. I have dark hair and dark eyes and a rather light complexion. So its probably not the right choice for me. Has anyone suggestions which color I could wear instead?

Happy Christmas to everyone! :)

Honestly, I think this makeup would suit a brown-eyed girl even better! Turquoises tend to bring out brown eyes :)

• Clementine says:

I am planning on using this tutorial for a Christmas party I’m going to so, thanks! Also, can you please make a gift guide on Doe Deere? Holidays are coming up and I still can’t decide what to get everyone! Please?

• Jenna Jocelyn Jones says:

You should really consider selling your makeup brand at “The Alley” Its a store of course, I shop there all the time in Chicago on Belmont & Clark =) PLEASE consider selling ur makeup there!!!! I would finally be able to buy your products then!!!!!!

• Courtney says:

I’m the more go with the flow when it comes to my make up I usually decide that morning :). This is really pretty I’m definitely am going to have to try it!! :)

• Arika says:

I do have my makeup planned I’m doing a burgundy, aqua and gold look.

• Maria says:

I’m having a Christmas party coming around next week. I’m sticking to something natural but glowy. MAC Vanilla Pigment mixed with tinted moisturizer is AMAZING!!! It gives you that candlelit glow (soft ivory golden sheen) that the girls on the cover of magazines have! Have you ever tried it, Doe Deere?

• Kalila says:

Wow, it’s so crazy that you did this, because today I woke up and decided I wanted to be bright, so I chose my brand new Turquoise eyeshadow and I did exactly this on my eyes, then I get on here and see this. :P

• wren says:

I assume you don’t only use your brand (especially since you added “I’ll pretend we’re using limecrime colors”) so what other brands do you use? What are some of your favorite makeup companies to use besides your own?

Oh, I love many! It really depends on the product. My favorite nail polish is China Glaze. Foundation, Make Up For Ever (actually, I like almost everything MUFE makes), etc! I should do a post listing all my favorite products. :)

• Lily says:

Will you do a really neat steampunk-inspired photoshoot/makeup tutorial for me please??? That would be AmAzInG!!!!

• Pepper says:

My makeup will be chock full of glitter. I’ll probably layer all of my glitter liners and sparkly pigments. It’ll be captivating and gorgeous!

• Michelle C. says:

Haha this might just be me but I think you look like Rachel McAdams in the picture for this article xD

• Tyra Brawner says:

F*ckin’ awesome issues here. I am very happy to peer your post. Thank you a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?