Who else loves the 80s? I adore all the teased hair, the bright makeup, the purple lipstick! Even the shoulder pads I dig on occasion. ;) Halloween is the perfect time to bust out your Rubik’s cube and share your 80s obsession with your friends. Here’s how you can look like you’d just stepped off of the catwalk in 1985!

INGREDIENTS

• Eyeshadows: Lime Criminal, Empress, Circus Girl
  • Black mascara, purple liquid liner, false eyelashes
  • Face: foundation, bronzer, blush
  • Lips: purple lipstick, Fairy Wings powder
  • Teased hair, lurex scarf, big ear-rings: optional, but highly advisable! :)

Face

Moisturize face. Apply foundation and concealer where needed. Apply blush onto the apples of your cheeks; bronzer under the cheek bones and temples. Contouring (which is what bronzer does) was very popular in the 80s, so go nuts with it!

When you’re done, set face with finishing powder. Now your  makeup is ready to withstand a night long of dancing!

Eyes

When using eye dusts, you want the surface to be a little sticky. Apply primer over the lids. Amazon (yellow-green) is applied all over the eye with a rounder brush, except for the outer corners – that’s where the purple will go. Apply Empress purple on outer corners and a little under the eye. I used Lime Criminal, a bright lime color, to deepen the inner corner right under the brow and to blend all colors together. Add a touch of Circus Girl onto the center of eyeball.

Personally, I think this look works with or without the fake lashes. If you don’t feel like bothering with them, I suggest adding a little *oomph* with purple eyeliner – on top lid as well as the waterline.

Eyebrows

Looking at the tutorial, I wish I had done bushier eyebrows. After all, they are an 80s staple! But don’t fret: I’ll tell you exactly how to do it. Fill in your brows as usual, darker shades preferred. Now sharpen your pencil and with short, quick strokes draw little ‘hairs’ outside your natural brow – just on top. It takes a bit of practice the the result is pretty amazing! Correct mistakes with foundation on a sponge.

Lips

Ohhh yes. Purple lipstick! If you have some that’s already frosted – use it! But my lips aren’t that big naturally, so I plumped them up with Fairy Wings magic dust, dabbing just a little bit on the center of lower lip. Now I’ve got a perfect pout! *Muah!*

“Made in the 80s: makeup tutorial”

• Nik says:

Wow I love ure new hair!!!! amazing :)

• Doe Deere says:

♣ Nik
    Actually, it’s just brushed towards the front and teased like hell. Haha.

• [...] Doe Deere wrote an interesting post today onMade in the 80s: makeup tutorialHere’s a quick excerptI adore all the teased hair, the bright makeup, the purple lipstick! Even the shoulder pads I dig on occasion. Halloween is the perfect time to bust out your Rubik’s cube and share your 80s obsession with your friends. … [...]

• Aurora says:

any chance on you doing a tutorial on how to achieve a Dita look? Your hair would look so perfect styled like hers.
    Also, bought the pixie dust, can’t wait for the mail to try it!!! :)

• Vicki says:

That’s really rather fabulous and your hair looks great too! I second the request for a Dita look, that would be amazing!

• Samanthadarko says:

I worked in a haunted house for charity (a special education school where my fiend teaches) the other night. The girl I was placed in the haunted concession stand was horrified when I was hand teasing my hair as it started to flatten after 3 hours. She thought I was going to wreck it, I know the trick to really ratted hair is great conditioner( Head & Shoulders is really awesome) and a brush, then comb in the shower. By the way the make-up job was horrible (if I had know i would have done my own). I all makes me want to move to Paris and study with Dany Sanz!

• amanda lee says:

So hot! I can’t wait to buy some and try it. :-)

• Aether says:

I love the eighties, even though I wasn’t old enough to really remember them.. haha.. this is a great look.. I like it sans the big brows.. I am growing mine out and I filled them in with pencil last night to see how they would look and I freaked out and plucked some! haha I just can’t take big brows.. I like them on some people but not myself. This is a great look though.. we should make a film set in the 80′s, starring us.. that would be an awesome excuse to dress all out 80′s. haha <3

• Britt says:

Doe, you have really pale skin so what shade of bronzer do you use? I almost never where bronzer, and when I do I use some of my sisters (her complexion is a lot more olive toned then mine) and it always looks orange-y. Advice?

And I love the 80s look!

• Britt says:

and a third for a Dita look, especially on how to do hair pinup like

• caitlin. (: says:

Ah! Gorgeous. <33
    The eighties were awesome, though unfortunately for it, I wasn’t born ’til ninety-four. Ahah. (:
    But still. I really love this look. I’m incredibly jealous of you, really I am. Not many people I know can pull off those purples like you can! I’m definitely going to attempt this look as soon as I can. :]

• WendyB says:

I wore silver lipstick in the early ’80s. Would love to see that on you!

• naomi says:

you look like a living Jem doll!

• savannah says:

with your teased red hair you remind me of that 80′s darling, molly ringwald! i just purchased the empress eyeshadow last week, and this tutorial makes me soo anxious to try it. it looks like such a lovely purple.

• morwen says:

What a great look! If you don’t mind, I would love to request to see a 30s pin-up model tutorial. I am sure you would pull off that look incredibly!
    -*-morwen

• Kellee says:

Awesome!! Gotta love the 80′s.<3

• Sara says:

Lovely! I wish I could decide on what colors of eyeshadow to buy!

+4 to the Dita request.

• Shannon says:

Gorgeous! I love amazon, but I’m not quite sure I’m ready to pull it off yet…

• Hannah says:

I completely fourth the Dita request! This make-up is simply gorgeous; like it’s color just melting together >w< I honestly can’t wait to start working so I can buy some <3!!

• Gaiya says:

…. and here I thought I could just maybe live with not getting all the limecrime shadows… but they’re all just beautiful… and how you coordinate them is just amazing. That look is absolutely stunning. Mind if I ask you where I can find the purple lipstick? I haven’t seen one around… (and yesh, I’m new… :P)

• Jessie says:

I love the look, I can’t wait to order some of your eyeshadows! I always love the way you do you makeup and no matter how wild it is you always make it wearable in some way or another.

• Feather says:

Doe Deere, could you PLEASE do an ice princess/winter fairy? I’d love to see what you come up with!

• Kirsti says:

Hey the top picture here is amazing!
    Your teeth are really white even when you wear pink lipstick, do you have any tips?
    I wish I didn’t have to wear glasses, there isnt really much point in me doing anything beautiful on my eyes because you can’t see it!
    love the blog
    xo

• Glendy says:

I dunno why, I can’t get prince out of my head and seeing your make-up makes me feel like blasting my 1999 song and 7, Oh man I’m feeling Sheila E. and apollonia inspired :3
    Keep up the great tutorials!

• DivaShop says:

Wow, that takes me back! I think you captured the essence of that decade quite well.

• KimFight says:

what color is that lipstick? i loooooove it!

• Penny says:

OMG i love it i am having an 80′s party tonight and this is SOOOO helpful thanks A LOT

• Kaelin says:

Love the Make up Love the eightys lol even though i was born in th 90′s wooo 1992 close to the 80s but anyways i was looking up ideas because tomorrow is 80s/ superhero day (spirit week in school) and this is awesome great looks and ur really pretty

• ellis says:

haha sweet! me and my bff r gunna be 80s girls for halloween! GO GIRL

• 1985 says:

Soooo pretty, I’m going to have to try this :) J’adore le 80′s!

• Rachael says:

*pout*

Is it bad that I want to travel to NY on a tandem bicycle, and steal Doe away to Halifax to be my Unicorn Wife?

I look like Dita Von Teese, with a few extra colours and hair styles in my palette. Clearly Doe and I were meant to be?

- Your Beautiful Rocket

• L.j. says:

Great look, beautiful colours! Though I have to say it is not quite truly ’80′s. The colours were less intense and though they were frosty they were not metalic. At least not where I’m from. Still, I am happy to see the 80′s back, despite the fact that I lived through them. Just do yourselves a favour and don’t go too 80′s. There are some fashoions that should just be forgotten, stricken from historical records and never seen again.

• [...] for Dark Skin: Here’s a lovely, glowing summer look for brown-skinned girls. Surf’s up! ’80s Makeup Tutorial: I’ll never forget the ’80s… I wonder where I put all my bangle bracelets. [...]