Karen Elson, the singer
British supermodel Karen Elson, who is married to Jack White of The White Stripes, just launched a singing career and is part of a budding “slashie” movement (model/…). Historically, once established in one area of entertainment, it’s notoriously difficult for women to cross over into another. This is especially true for models, whose other talents such as singing and acting tend to not be taken seriously by the masses. Modeling is the very definition of a superficial art, and people mistakenly perceive it as if there is no skill involved. But models are far from talentless.
- Lily Cole delivered a beautiful performance in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
- Devon Aoki was brilliant as a deadly assassin in Sin City.
- Mila Jovovich may have failed to cross over into music with her album Divine Comedy in 1993, but went on to have a smashingly successful career acting starring in, most notably, The Fifth Element and Resident Evil.
- Vanessa Paradis had a couple of hits in the 80s and early 90s. She is Johnny Depp’s girlfriend.
- Alt model Raquel Reed also recently released a music video for her song, Fast Lane.
And of course, there’s been plenty of actresses who rocked the mic:
- Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus, Ashlee Simpson, Jenifer Lopez and Lindsay Lohan all had Top 40 hits.
- Scarlett Johansson recorded an album “Anywhere I Lay My Head” in 2008. (I wasn’t a fan, but kudos for doing it!)
- Gwyneth Paltrow recorded a duet with Huey Lewis, “Cruisin” – this one you still actually hear on the radio!
- Kirsten Dunst suddenly turned Japanese.
Deerlings: What do you think, should models and actresses stick to what they are known for, or did you like their other projects? Why do you think it’s so hard to cross over?